Saturday 4 December 2010

EUREKA MOMENT

I saw a stroke of Genius today. While doing an admittedly lame training 'walk' for 10miles, I was pretty encouraged to see quite a few runners, especiually out in the 'burbs, running with spikes or weird contraptions on their running shoes for the snow. But the smart ones - the few smart ones, were running in the cycle lane. Eureka! 

Of course the cycle lane on the main road was totally cleared of snow. And no cyclists are so stupid to go out in minus 5 and snow (only runners are so stupid) so you have a clear road to run, maybe a full 10miles worth, all through the winter. I think ill give it a shot tomorrow, instead of the indoor track. The only real danger here are cars - being in UK, no one bothers to get winter tyres despite a foot of snow, so i think its worth looking out for rear wheel drive BMW's careering my way.

My walking today wasn't actually so bad. I felt i got a workout at least, with the pack on. And the snow of course slowed me down and used more calories than it would normally. Now tomorrow night i'm off to London for a week, where I understand the weather is pretty crap - wet, cold, slushy snow. So i think a lot of walking will be involved there, and a fair amount of slipping. Seems everyone i know has a cold (Estonian wimps can handle minus 20 but not minus 3 in dirty London!) but luckily, unlike USA it is possible to buy fruit and vegetables in London.

2 comments:

  1. It must seem strange training in the snow for a race through the desert! Should be a fascinating adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks, yes my options are limited in the frozen north right now, so i need to be creative! I'll try to get to a hot country for as much as possible next year to get used to training in heat.

    ReplyDelete